Technology
Technology, against all odds its ever increasing reach could be seen in even the most remote of villages. Somehow, in an almost poetic sense, the desire to own a cellphone has drowned out the need for some of the most basic amenities. Many of the locals I met would gladly give up a comfortable bed or a deposit on a well so they can instead purchase a mobile phone. In no way am I saying the individuals I met should 'know better' or that they are making a poor decision, rather my perspective on the matter is that of curiosity. Somehow, despite having a very limited view on the westernized world, the importance of owning a cell phone has become so apparent it is now viewed as a necessity. With my background in IT, I have always looked for ways in which technology can bring people together instead of push them apart, and here in the remote hills of Nicaragua that became a reality. Children and adults alike laughed themselves to tears over snapchat filters, our volunteers spoke a language they weren't fluent in and we learned more about the depth of their daily lives, all through the powerful combination of technology and humanity.
About author: Davis
My name is Davis Bonner and I currently work and study as a photojournalist with the hopes of making it my career. If you have any question or are interested in my work, please contact me at: davisbonner05@gmail.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

